This lesson will be addressing how practice/business managers (or compliance offers) need to get their HIPAA house in order as HIPAA is now fully enforced and the government is not using kid gloves any more.
It will also address major changes under the Omnibus Rule and any other applicable updates for 2016 and beyond. There are an enormous amount of issues and risks for covered entities and business associates these days. I will speak on specific experiences from over 17 years of experience in working as an outsourced compliance auditor, expert witness on HIPAA cases, and thoroughly explain how patients are now able to get cash remedies for wrongful disclosures of private health information.
More importantly I will show you how to limit those risks by simply taking proactive steps and utilizing best practices.
Why should you Attend:
- Omnibus has changed the HIPAA landscape for good!
- This once rarely enforced law has changed and you need to know what's going on!
- Protect your practice or business!
- What factors might spurn a HIPAA audit?are you doing these things?
- Why are the Feds enforcing after all these years?
- State laws are now also more strict increasing liability for patient remedies!
We will be discussing some of the changes taking place in Washington with the Health and Human Services in regards to the enforcement of the HIPAA laws already on the books.
I will go over some of the new changes affecting covered entities and business associates.
I will also be discussing factors might cause an unwanted visit or letter from the Office of Civil Rights and how to prepare for the audit and deal with the Feds.
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- Updates for Omnibus
- Audit process
- New patient legal remedies
- Portable devices
- Emailing and texting
- Business associates and the increased burden
- Breach notification
- Paperwork that needs to be updated
- Risk factors for being sued or audited
- Practice Managers
- Any Business Associates who work with Medical Practices or Hospitals (i.e. Billing Companies, Transcription Companies, IT companies, Answering services, Home Health, Coders, Attorneys, etc)
- MD's and other Medical Professionals